SILVINA CASTANÓ EMERSON
• Certified Technical-Scientific and Literary English and Spanish Translator. (National University of Argentina, 1996).
– Majors: “English” and “Styles of Writing.”
– Special distinction granted in “English Grammar” course.
• Spanish Grammar and Teaching. (National University of Argentina, 1993).
• Physics and Mathematics Degree. (Dante Alighieri Institute, 1988).
• Conference “Advertising Language and Translation.” (2005).
• Conference “Psychology of Language.” (2003).
• Seminar on “Grammar by Quirk..” (2001).
• Course on “Oil and Gas Language.” (2001).
• 4-month course “Technical Translations, Hydraulics.” (1999).
• 1-year course “Spanish Grammar and Dialects.” (1997).
• 2-year course “English Slang, Dialects and Idiolects.” (1994-1996).
• 1-year course “General Linguistics of English Language.” (1996).
• 6-month course “English Essays Writing.” (1993-1995).
• 3-month seminar “Manuals Translations and Writing.” (1994).
• 10-month seminar “Cognitive Linguistics.” (1993).
• Windows XP, Office 2007, Microsoft Works, Acrobat Reader 8.0, CorelDraw 12, PhotoShop 9.0, Quark Express, NetSuite, Mozilla Firefox, Dartboard, FTP sites, etc.
• Translation software (only if requested by client).
LINGUISTIC AND PROOFREADING SKILLS
• Knowledge of AP, Chicago and MLA Styles.
• Excellent command of English and Spanish grammar: spelling, subject-verb agreement, sentence balance and parallelism, correlation. Use of language according to region.
• Use of punctuation, capitalization and specific syntax according to style and subject.
• Spacing, alignment, formatting and color for visual purpose.
• Control of symmetry and balance related to art work, pictures and banners.
• Very good command of proofreading symbols.
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
(1992 to the present) LAW FIRMS JOURNALS
BELL SOUTH BEST BUY
FLORIDA TRIBUNE LA FABRICA
EKEKO PRODUCTIONS TURKEL
ENRON INTERNATIONAL PURVIN & GERTZ
BATANGA MAGAZINE EL PASO CORPORATION
TEXACO BLACK SHEEP
HISPANIC REALITY TRANSPERFECT
NUEVO ADVERTISING EKEKO PRODUCTIONS
US AND EUROPEAN TRANSLATION COMPANIES
Freelance Translator / Proofer Manager of articles on several subjects such as advertising, marketing, Web sites content, legal issues, legal journals, health, short stories, story of the day, how-to articles, gas an oil industries, white papers, press releases, business and media, standards and regulations, essays, speeches. TV and Radio spots. Booklets and brochures. Also, movie scripts and commercials. Duties include (whether on-site or not) detailed attention to concept to be transmitted. Also art work researcher to go with the ads or campaign.
(05-2007 to the present) US EMBASSY, UK EMBASSY, FBI, INTERPOL, MEXICAN CONSULATE IN TEXAS, MINLER LAW FIRM, GARAY LAW FIRM. Translator, interpreter and bilingual liaison between all parties involved in this well-known international case. Written and oral communicator among national and international entities and politicians from US government, UK House of Commons and Congress, Local and Federal US Departments, judges, lawyers, private investigators, agents, negotiators and petitioners. More information about this position is strictly confidential.
(02-2004 to the present) NAPS. Freelance Translator. Entertainment, lifestyle, advertising, media, marketing, environmental issues, human health, IT world, auto world, recipes. Proofreading of essays, books reviews and short stories for different Internet Web sites. This position requires a very detail-oriented attention to grammar, punctuation, and formatting together with correction of semantics and syntax in order to convey meaning.
(08-2001 to 05-2004) CDX GAS & OIL, LLC. Bilingual Technical Assistant / Translator. Translation and proofreading of daily reports on gas and oil market trends. Extensive translation of all kinds of documents related to gas and oil industries for FTP site of company. Consulting of reference materials, standards or specifications to ensure compliance and accuracy. Position also included lots of power point presentation designs for future gas prospects and combination of new design covers for each of them. Responsible for maintaining communication among different CDX GAS companies in Houston, Dallas, Farmington, Arkansas, Alaska and Canada. Bilingual liaison and communicator between CDX and Latin American and European Companies.
(10-1998 to 05-2001) ENRON INTERNATIONAL. Technical and Business Translator. Extensive proofreading (English and Spanish) on water and wastewater treatments articles. Translation of Drinking Water and Wastewater Treatments. Environmental. Standards and Regulations. Translation and proofreading of all the Technical and Non-Technical documentation for the M.O.S.P. bid in Bahía Blanca, Argentina. Participation in the team effort to put together bid for Enron Bid in Rio de Janeiro. Writing, translations and proofreading related to due diligences and wastewater market. Content was to be uploaded within the intranet which linked US, Brazil and Argentina. Brochures creation to be distributed among consortium managers in Brazil. Translation and Edition of book “Análysis de un Proyecto Inconcluso” written by J. Paul Oxer, Vice President of Azurix Global Assets, for Chile on environmental issues and sanitation in drinking water and wastewater management. This job was done on a freelance basis and involved lots of formatting, severe control of sentence structure and development, meaning achievement and grammar flow.
(03-1997 to 08-1998) GENERAL ELECTRIC (GE). (TECHINT/ARGENER Powerhouse). Business and Technical Translator / Proofreader. Bilingual liaison amongst TECHINT, GENERAL ELECTRIC and HOUSTON INDUSTRIES. Proofreading of daily reports and events. Translation of operational manuals and how-to articles created on site to habilitate thermal power plant operation.
(1994 – 1999) Spanish Private Teacher.
(1991 – 2000) English Private Teacher.
SILVINA CASTANÓ EMERSON